Postdoc Research Group Loose
- Klosterneuburg (Vienna), Austria
- € 61,026* gross/year
- Application Deadline: December 31, 2023
The research interest of the Loose group is to understand how proteins self-organize into dynamic spatiotemporal patterns. For this aim, we rebuild biochemical systems in a bottom-up reconstitution approach using purified components.
We are looking for two Postdocs to work on the new ERC Consolidator Grant project GTPaseNet, which aims to rebuild the biochemical networks of Rab GTPases from purified components. Candidates will combine protein biochemistry with fluorescence microscopy to demonstrate their self-organization into spatiotemporal activity patterns in vitro. In this project, we will use microfabrication and laser lithography to develop experimental assays mimicking the compartmentalized cell. We also aim to elucidate the structural basis of these biochemical networks by revealing the architecture of Rab GTPase regulators in complex with their binding partners using cryo-electron microscopy.
This project will provide novel, quantitative information from different scales, from the emergent ensemble behavior down to the molecular structure of protein complexes. Together, this data will reveal how signaling systems of Rab GTPases control membrane identities in space and time, thereby improving our understanding of the intracellular organization of the eukaryotic cell.
- PhD in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Molecular Biology or related field completed within the past 5 years
- Experience in protein biochemistry, fluorescence microscopy, image analysis and/or structural biology
- High level of interest in Small GTPase signaling and systems biochemistry
- Committed to research excellence with a demonstrated relevant publication track record in leading scientific journals
- A proven ability to conduct independent research, as well as to work effectively as a member of a research team
- Interest in mentoring graduate students
- Ability to solve problems creatively and carefully
- Excellent command of English (working language)
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational and time management skills
Application documents: cover letter, CV, publication list, 2 references
To submit your application please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ISTA is growing. Grow with us!
Institute of Science and Technology Austria (ISTA) is a constantly growing international institute for conducting frontier research in mathematics, computer science, life sciences & physical sciences. We strive to recruit passionate professionals from across the world over all fields who strive to support our goal of excellent research. Located within a beautiful campus on the outskirts of Vienna, we offer multiple opportunities for personal growth in a stable working environment. Get an insight!
ISTA promotes a diverse and inclusive working environment and is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all applicants, free of discrimination. All employment decisions at ISTA are based on job requirements, qualifications, merit and organizational needs. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
*This position comes with possible overpayment depending on education, qualification and work experience. For more information on how ISTA processes your personal data, please refer to www.ista.ac.at/data-protection.