Postdoc Research Group Muller
- Klosterneuburg (Vienna), Austria
- € 56,000* gross/year
- Application deadline: flexible start date
The organization of clouds at mesoscales (hundreds of kilometers) is ubiquitous in the tropics, with important impacts on extreme weather and on the large-scale climate. Arguably, the most spectacular example of organized convection is the tropical cyclone, with its eye devoid of deep clouds, surrounded by a rotating cloudy eyewall. Other forms of spatially organized convection include mesoscale convective clusters, or squall lines. Improved fundamental understanding of convective organization, and its sensitivity to warming, is an area of priority to achieve accurate rainfall projections in a warming climate. The general aim of the Muller group is to clarify the physical processes responsible for the spatial organization of clouds in the tropics, and its implications for our climate. More precisely, the goal of this 4-year project is to clarify the impact of convective organization on the hydrological cycle (mean and extreme precipitation), on the large-scale atmospheric energy budget, and on tropical cyclogenesis and rapid intensification of tropical cyclones. We will use a synergy of theory, high-resolution cloud-resolving numerical simulations, in-situ and satellite observations in order to address these scientific questions.
- A PhD in atmospheric science or climate science, but PhDs in related fields including computer science, applied mathematics, physics or fluid dynamics, are also encouraged to apply
- Prior numerical modeling experience and excellent communication skills
- Committed to research excellence with a demonstrated relevant publication track record in leading scientific journals
- A proven ability to conduct independent research, as well as to work effectively as a member of a research team
- Interest in mentoring graduate students
- Excellent command of English (working language)
Application documents: detailed CV (including list of publications, list of conference presentations, and a preferred start date), short research statement, the name of 3 referees. Please arrange for their 3 recommendation letters to be sent separately to firstname.lastname@example.org.
IST is growing. Grow with us!
IST Austria is a constantly growing international institute for conducting frontier research in mathematics, computer science, life sciences & physical sciences. We strive to recruit passionate professionals from across the world over all fields who strive to support our goal of excellent research. Located within a beautiful campus on the outskirts of Vienna, we offer multiple opportunities for personal growth in a stable working environment. Get an insight!
*This position comes with possible overpayment depending on education, qualification and work experience. For more information on how IST Austria processes your personal data, please refer to www.ist.ac.at/data-protection.