Staff Scientist Condensed Matter Theory
- Full Time (40h/w) – Limited for 5 years (permanent contract possible after tenure-like evaluation)
- Klosterneuburg (Vienna), Austria
- > € 64,000* gross/year (All-In), flexible start date
Staff Scientists at the Institute of Science and Technology Austria (ISTA) pursue research projects together with professors, serving as collaborators with specific expertise not present within research groups. Currently we are looking for a Staff Scientist with experience in condensed matter theory.
The Staff Scientist will be associated with the Nanofabrication facility. The core mission of the Nanofabrication facility is to run two cleanrooms fully equipped with state of the art equipment for micro and nanofabrication processing and provide technical support for research groups on campus. The newly open position for Staff scientist will provide theoretical support to groups working on quantum devices.
The Staff Scientist should strengthen the interactions between the experimental groups and theoretical groups by fostering common projects. The candidate should enjoy working on several projects as the candidate is going to be involved in the research of a broad class of quantum devices. The staff scientist will initially collaborate mainly with the groups of Andrew Higginbotham, Georgios Katsaros and Maksym Serbyn. To actively participate in their research, ideally the candidate should have an active interest in the physics of quantum devices (mesoscopic physics, spin qubits, hybrid superconductor-semiconductor devices, superconducting circuits), and in particular connecting theory and experiment.
- PhD in Physics and extensive post-graduate experience in a competitive and high-level research environment
- Proven expertise and specific knowledge in electron and hole spin physics, quantum dot physics, non-equilibrium quantum systems, Keldysh diagram techniques, superconductivity and related diagram techniques, quantum transport and noise
- Proven scientific track-record (e.g. publications in high-impact journals)
- Excellent command of English (working language)
- Strong team player with outstanding communication skills
- Excellent multitasking capabilities and ability to handle several projects in parallel
Application Deadline: Evaluation of applications starts September 1, 2022 until filled.
ISTA is growing. Grow with us!
Institute of Science and Technology Austria (ISTA) is a constantly growing international institute for conducting frontier research in mathematics, computer science, life sciences & physical sciences. We strive to recruit passionate professionals from across the world over all fields who strive to support our goal of excellent research. Located within a beautiful campus on the outskirts of Vienna, we offer multiple opportunities for personal growth in a stable working environment. Get an insight!
ISTA promotes a diverse and inclusive working environment and is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all applicants, free of discrimination. All employment decisions at ISTA are based on job requirements, qualifications, merit and organizational needs. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
*This position comes with possible overpayment depending on education, qualification and work experience. For more information on how ISTA processes your personal data, please refer to www.ista.ac.at/data-protection.