Staff Scientist – Crystallography
- Full Time (40h/w) – Limited for 5 years (permanent contract possible after tenure-like evaluation)
- Klosterneuburg (Vienna), Austria
- > € 70,000* gross/year
Staff Scientists at IST Austria pursue research projects together with professors, serving as collaborators with expertise normally not present within research groups. We are looking for a Staff Scientist with experience in crystallography. The staff scientist will be associated with the Nanofabrication facility, which provides technical support for research groups on campus. The staff scientist with experience in inorganic crystallography should have an active interest in the analysis and correlation of structural material properties with functional properties.
- Determine the crystal structure of new crystalline compounds or known compounds in forms where the crystal structure differs from bulk structures due to, e.g., strain, anisotropy, stacking faults, etc. Samples may either be powder, single crystals, or the phase evolution of crystallites during, e.g., electrochemical or thermal processes (intercalation, growth, alloying, segregation, etc).
- Analyze the atomic arrangement of solids to correlate material properties by using data from X-ray, electron or neutron diffraction, together with other analytical techniques and computer modeling.
- PhD in physics, chemistry or material science. Post-graduate experience in a demanding and high-level research environment
- Deep understanding of crystal structures
- Expertise in crystal structure determination, orientation/texture, and refinement
- Expertise in 3D atomic modeling and in electron backscattering diffraction data analysis
- Expertise small angle x-ray scattering and in synchrotron facilities
- Prior knowledge or willingness to learn SEM-FIB
- Excellent command of English
- Service-oriented attitude
- Team player with outstanding communication skills
IST is growing. Grow with us!
IST Austria is a constantly growing international institute for conducting frontier research in mathematics, computer science, life sciences & physical sciences. We strive to recruit passionate professionals from across the world over all fields who strive to support our goal of excellent research. Located within a beautiful campus on the outskirts of Vienna, we offer multiple opportunities for personal growth in a stable working environment. Get an insight!
*This position comes with possible overpayment depending on education, qualification and work experience. For more information on how IST Austria processes your personal data, please refer to www.ist.ac.at/data-protection.