in the disciplines of
Chemistry, Computer Science, Life Sciences, Mathematics, and Physics.
We invite applications in all areas of the above-mentioned disciplines for several open positions. In addition, we especially welcome applications from the following areas:
• Data sciences, including statistics, optimization, machine learning, bioinformatics, computational neuroscience, numerical methods, simulation, and visualization
• Condensed matter physics focusing on experimental solid-state physics, nanoscience and photonics
• Computer systems, including distributed and operating systems, databases, networks, and robotics
We especially encourage female researchers to apply.
• Highly international and interdisciplinary research environment that attracts outstanding PhD students and postdocs
• State-of the art facilities and a wide range of scientific support services, such as Nanofabrication facility, Electron microscopy facility, Bioimaging facility, Life science facility, Mechanical and Electronic shop, Scientific Computing facility, Preclinical facility (rodents)
• Competitive start-up package and salary
• Guaranteed, annual base funding
• Support for acquiring third-party funds
• Wide portfolio of career support such as mentoring and coaching
• Child-care facilities on campus (for children from 3 months till 6 years old)
The deadline of our annual call has passed.
We also accept applications during the rest of the year. However, the appointment procedure might take longer as we prefer to process all applications, whenever possible, in parallel.
To apply online please click here.
Your application includes your curriculum vitae (with a list of publications), and a research statement including a description of your scientific accomplishments and planned research activities.
If your application passes the first round of selection we will contact your referees. We will invite all shortlisted applicants for interviews, which usually take place from January to April. We will confirm receipt of your application immediately and notify you about its status at the latest six months after the call deadline. We will also accept applications after the deadline. However, then the decision making may take longer, as we prefer to process applications, whenever possible, in parallel.
Tenure-track and tenured positions
Assistant professors at IST Austria are independent group leaders with an initial contract of six years, at the end of which they are reviewed by international peers. If the evaluation is positive, an assistant professor is promoted to a tenured professor. IST Austria appoints assistant professors only if we believe in their potential to obtain tenure. There is no limit on the number of tenured “slots”: we want all of our assistant professors to become tenured, and we support them in any way we can. Candidates for tenured professors are distinguished scientists in their respective research fields and have at least six years of experience in leading a research group.
Research culture at IST Austria
IST Austria recognizes the importance of academic freedom in the advancement of science. The Institute fosters an interactive, collegial, and supportive atmosphere, sharing space and resources between research groups whenever possible, and facilitating cross-disciplinary collaborations. The organization tries to minimize internal hierarchies and boundaries. Currently, without departments, the only organizational research unit is the independent research group, headed by a professor or an assistant professor.
Graduate School of IST Austria
Our PhD program involves a multi-disciplinary course schedule and rotations in research labs. We hire scholars from diverse international backgrounds. Every professor and assistant professor at IST Austria contributes to the success of the Graduate School by designing and teaching courses, and by continuously developing their mentoring and leadership skills. The size of the research groups (up to 15 members) allows for close interaction between groups and direct supervision of PhD students.
Diversity and inclusion
IST Austria values diversity and is committed to equal opportunities and fairness. In 2014, the Institute received the Work-and-Family certificate from the Austrian Federal Ministry of Families and Youth and committed itself to a new cycle of the audit (2017-2020) in order to address the Institute’s steady growth and changing needs. Family support includes a kindergarten on campus (for children from 3 months till 6 years old) and a Dual Career Advice Office.
IST Austria as host institution for ERC applications
IST Austria can only be listed as host institution on your ERC (or other grant) application once IST Austria has offered you a position as (assistant) professor.