Mendeley is an online platform, which can be used to share research papers, discover research data and collaborate with other scientists. Not only can it do that, but it’s also a great tool for organizing and extracting metadata from PDFs. Furthermore, the website offers the possibility to search for available jobs and funding. There is also an app on Android and iOS, where you can look after your documents.
Download now: https://www.mendeley.com/
On this site:
Mendeley also has a Plugin for Word and LibreOffice. The Plugin is a great addition to the other applications. It helps you create your citations and your bibliography. The Plugin works directly with your Mendeley Desktop App. With just a few clicks It generates a citation using the data you have saved in the Mendely Application. In addition the Plugin also generates a bibliography. A recommended feature is the style change. With the plugin, it is easy to change the citation style. Many different publisher styles are installed, but you can also add or change them.
For further information on how to use the plugin, please read the Mendeley guideline.
Mendeley and BibTeX
This method is best if you want to have Mendeley autosync with your .bib file as you add or change records in your Mendeley library.
- Go to Mendeley Desktop preferences, select the BibTeX tab
- Select the box labeled “Enable BibTeX syncing” and select one of the options you prefer
- “Create one BibTeX file for my whole library” generates one large .bibfile for your entire library
- “Create one BibTeX file per group” generates one .bibfile for each folder you create in Mendeley Desktop.
- “Create one BibTeX file per document” generates one .bibfile for each document in Mendeley Desktop.
- Select the location where you want the generated .bib files to be stored (should be the same location as your LaTeX file).
These files will now automatically sync in this location as changes/additions are made.
Christine Malinowski | MIT Libraries
Further information on the functionalities can be found in the respective help guides.